I love having bacon and egg for breakfast, but cooking it in a frying pan is a pain. You end up with loads of oil all over your food and little flavour.
So, I decided to try something different. Here is what you’ll need (for two people):
- Four pieces of bacon
- Two medium eggs
- Two slices of bread (I used Genius bread)
- Two medium sized mushrooms
- Sweet Chili Sauce (Optional)
- Salt and black pepper (Optional)
- 2 large sheets of tinfoil
- Access to an Oven, preheated at 230C/Gas Mark 8
- Access to a Toaster
- and a baking tray/roasting tin that is a minimum of 5cm deep.
I made a few mistakes while making this but I have ideas on how to solve the problems.
- Wrap tinfoil around the baking tray/roasting tin, it makes it easier to clean in the long run.
- Place the bacon on the tray and place in the preheated oven.
- While the bacon is in, which should take 5-10 minutes (just for it to slightly crisp), place the bread in the toaster to toast until browned.
- Once the bacon and toast are done, take the bacon out, and redo the tinfoil.
- Once clean tinfoil is in, place the toast on the tray, add the sliced mushroom – leaving a small gap in the middle of each slice of toast for the yolk.
- Add the eggs, with the yolk in the middle.
- Add seasoning of your choice – I recommend basil, black pepper, and salt for a balanced flavour. But if you like spice, I recommend adding a drizzle of sweet chili sauce.
- Now, add the bacon on the top of the toast, eggs, and mushrooms.
- Place back in the oven for up to 20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and serve once the egg has turned white, and the bacon is to your liking.
That’s it, it’s a pretty simple piece to cook. My mistakes were putting non-toasted bread in the tray, and uncooked bacon in the tray, too. So, when the bacon was cooking, the water within it dripped out, which the bread soaked up and evidently made the bread a bit soggy….
I was half asleep!
But, that’s it! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It’s quick, easy, and a fast tidy up!
All the things you need when you can’t be bothered in the mornings!