I’m calling it Bolognese instead of Spaghetti Bolognese for the reason of – I don’t use Spaghetti.
Reason: My parents don’t like Spaghetti so we use Conchiglie.
What you’re going to need:
3 tablespoons of Sweet Chili Sauce
1 tin of Chopped Tomatoes
300mg of 20%Less Fat Mince (a 500mg can be bought at Aldi for around £2, which will serve 3/4 people. Separate the mince into two portions.)
1 onion and 1spring onion, both cut finely
1 bell pepper, cut into cubes (optional)
2 or 3 button mushrooms, cut into slices (optional)
Tea spoon of fresh Rosemary
A tea spoon of fresh or dried basil
1 Wok, I recommend Ken Hom wok’s, one with a lid. (You can use a normal pan but they won’t be as good to fry the meat)
1/4 of a cup of garden peas, frozen or canned.
1 cup of Conchiglie Pasta (this will serve two, another half a cup will be needed to serve three).
2 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped or crushed in a Garlic Press.
How to cook:
- Add you Mince to a pan of your choice; like I said above, I recommend a wok but a normal pan can be used. Do not as oil! If it’s sticking, just add 1/2 a cup of water to the pan which will loosen the mince so that it can continue to fry without burning. Put 1 tablespoon of Sweet Chili Sauce in while it’s frying, the meat with obsorb the juices from the sauce.
- After the mince has turned brown, add your tin of chopped tomatoes before turning the hob onto a low light and start preparing the other ingredients. Add the (Frozen) peas now.
- Next to go in must be the peppers and Mushrooms, leave the onions until a little later.
- Add the second spoon of Sweet Chili Sauce.
- Keep it on a low heat, add the onions and Garlic, add the rosemary and basil now, along with 1/4 a tea spoon of salt, 1/4 a tea spoon of sugar, and 2/4 a tea spoon of ground black pepper. Make sure to keep stiring!
- Once everything is added, get another pan, add boiling water from a kettle, usually 3/4 filling the pan with water. Add Salt and Pepper and leave to boil. Once bubbles begin to rise, add the pasta.
- Once the pasta is cooked, should only take 10-12 minutes, turn the Bolognese up while you serve the pasta.
- After serving the pasta into bowls, add the Bolognese on the top of the pasta before turning the hob off.
And that’s it! It’s a simple recipe and can be changes really well to suit anyones requirements. Vegetarian? Use Quorn Mince. Vegan? Use Vegan Pasta. Unable to eat Gluten? Gluten free Pasta.
Its super tasty and is really healthy!
If you ever try this recipe, take a photo of it and send it to me 😉
Take care everyone,