Quality food is essential to a healthy diet. However, nobody said it couldn’t taste good!
Over the weekend, I decided to make a pasta bake, but made it simple.
This dish if Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Egg Free – and can be made to suit Vegetarians and Vegans.
This one cooking session made me four meals, one for the night and three to go in the freezer to be defrosted during the week and used as a ready meal so I didn’t have to cook after a long day at college.
Here is what I used:
- 100mg of Cheddar – this can be sliced or grated. I used Lactofree cheese, which is a Lactose free cheese suitable for those with Lactose Intolerance. A Vegan alternative can be used.
- 1 tablespoon of Soft Cheese – this can be anything, I used Lactofree but Philadelphia will work, as well as any Philadelphia knock off. A Vegan alternative can be used.
- 2 cups of Conchiglie pasta – I used Tesco’s Gluten, Milk, Wheat, Egg free version, but it’s exactly the same as normal pasta!
- 1 tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- 6 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 a cup of Milk – Once again, I used Lactofree Semi Skimmed Milk but normal milk or soya milk will work just as well. A Vegan alternative can be used.
- 4 Spring Onions
- 2 regular Onions – red onions can be used.
- 1 large Green Bell Pepper
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1/4 cup of Garden Peas – I used frozen peas
- Vegetarian – Pepperoni or Salami can be added, but left out if you want it to be vegetarian friendly.
- Vegan – Milk and Cheese can be substituted with other products, such as Soya Milk and Cheese substitutes, to make the Pasta Bake Vegan friendly.
- Boil salted water on the stove until it begins to bubble, when the bubbles begin add the Conchiglie pasta.
- When the pasta is soft, it’s cooked. Drain the pasta of water before putting it back in the pan, adding the tin of Chopped Tomatoes, Milk, and Soft Cheese.
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 400F/200F
- Finely chop the Garlic, Onions, and Spring Onions. Add them to the pan.
- Add the 1/4 cup of Garden Peas.
- Chop the Green Bell Pepper into cubes and add to the pan.
- Slice the Cherry Tomatoes into three and add them to the pan. Add the Pepperoni/Salami now if you want it in.
- Once the ingredients are mixed together and begins to turn a light orange due to the bubbling, pour the contents into an oven-proof casserole dish.
- Add the grated/sliced Cheddar cheese to the top of the pasta bake.
- Place the casserole dish into the oven for at least 25 minutes. The easy way of knowing its done is if the cheese has turned a golden brown.
And that’s it! You’ve just made my pasta bake!
If you’re doing the same as me – making extra meals to freeze and use during the week, I recommend giving it at least eight hours to defrost; which means, if you’re having one for your lunch (midday), I recommend getting it out the night before. But if you’re having it for your evening meal, you can just get it out in the morning of the day you’re wanting to have it.
So, there you go! If you enjoyed this, and want more recipes, let me know by Liking, Commenting, Sharing, and Following us for more yummy content!
Have a wonderful day!