Just to refresh some peoples minds, things not to say to someone if:
1. they have Depression:
- Lighten up!
- It’s just in your head!
- Some people have it worse!
2. they have Anxiety:
- Everyone gets a little nervous sometimes!
- Just walk it [panic attack] off!
- You’re just being pathetic
3. they have OCD:
- I have OCD, everything has to be straight.
- You can’t be OCD, you’re so messy!
- OCD isn’t an illness, its an ability! It means you’re organized and clean
4. they have Schizophrenia:
- You’re a risk to peoples safety.
- Are you on pills?
- You’re just crazy!
5. they have Postnatal Depression:
- You should be in there [nursery] looking after your child! Just do it!
- You’re fine, it’s just in your head.
- Don’t get help, they’ll take your baby away.
Please avoid these phrases. They can cause a world of hurt to someone suffering one of these illnesses.